Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hiking To Timpanogos Cave

Since I don't work on Fridays and Mike had the day off we decided to head up to Timpanogos Cave. The weather wasn't looking very good, but we decided to take a chance anyways and I am so glad that we did. It was PERFECT hiking weather, it made Mike and I really miss hiking in the PNW... Lilly hiked pretty much the entire trail up, which is pretty good since it's 1.5 miles of switch backs with an incline of over 1000 feet. Lilly was totally in her element of science at the cave, the ranger that gave us a tour LOVED Lilly and deemed her as her Junior Ranger and even let Lilly hold her flashlight a few times. Lilly got to lead the entire tour group, which consisted of our family and 3 other 'older' couples. The 'older couples' were charmed by Lilly as well. She was the star Junior Ranger of Timpanogos :) Mike carried Emma up the Mountain, and Lilly at times. He is such a hiker rock star dad :)
We kept Lilly on her leash, mainly because I have an extreme irrational fear of heights and falling from cliffs. I carried Emma down the mountain because Mike ended up having to give Lilly a piggy back on the way down, she was pooped.
Emma slept through half of the cave tour. Unfortunately, you can't bring framed backpacks into the cave due to some narrow passageways, so we had to leave the pack outside and Mike had to carry a sleepy, wiggly baby through narrow low passages in the cave. Again, rock star dad :)
Emma LOVES hiking and being outside, so does Lilly and the rest of us. We are going to get a season pass to the National Parks next year and hopefully use it like crazy.
Here's a video of Mike carrying Lilly and Emma down the mountain before I started packing Emma. I had to rescue Mike from going deaf and also having a heart attack :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard i was crying, when i heard Lilly singing "jingle bells" and it sounded like Emma was singing too...Loved it!!
Mom